Real Estate Litigation

Quiet Title Actions

Quiet Title Actions help clear up or "quiet" title when something isn't quite right.   Arden Law Firm assists clients with Maryland quiet title litigation.  Some common situations requiring a quiet title action are when improvments (like a house) cross property lines, when an earlier deed in the chain of title is missing important components or when two or more people claim to own the same property.  

Arden Law Firm has succesfully cleared title in various cases of clouded titles  -- every case is different, though, and the detailed facts of your situation may affect the remedies available. 

Foreclosing rights of redemption (after tax sales)

After a Tax Sale, the winning bidder may need to file a Foreclosure Action in Circuit Court to Foreclose the Rights of Redemption.  If the property is not redeemed, the tax sale purchaser must go through court to get title.   Arden Law Firm assists clients with these types of cases, generally for a flat fee.    Tax sale foreclosures are available in Anne Arundel and Prince George's Counties for a flat attorney fee of $1,500; ask about other counties.  Volume discounts (to file multiple complaints at the same time, same county) are available. 

Note that for several months AFTER a tax sale, the homeowner / property owner has the right to REDEEM the property by paying the back-owed taxes plus interest and costs.  If the owner doesn't redeem, the tax sale purchaser can move forward to get ownership of the property.    Email or call for more information.  

Sales in Lieu of Partition (forced sales)

Ideally joint owners will buy property together understanding their respective rights and obligations and agreeing on what they'll do if any one of the owners wants to sell.  Sometimes, however owners disagree and can't find a way to reach agreement.

For instance,  one or more joint owners might want to sell or get off the deed while the remaining owners disagree.   In Maryland, a partition action operates to divide up property (say by splitting it in 1/2 between two owners).   In most cases of improved land (meaning where there is a house or other building), the property can't be physically and fairly divided amongst the owners so the law allows a forced sale or "sale in lieu of partition." 

© ArdenLawFirm 2014-2018  Managing Attorney Cedulie Laumann, Esq.